Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

any new in medication??
Dec 25, 2006

Hi Dr.Daar, My name is Andres and being positive for almost a year. I haven't take medication yet. According to my doctor told me that I don't need medication at this point. My question is there any new advanges in the medication? any medication on trial??

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Andres,

The good news is that there are many new advances being made in the treatment of HIV. This mostly relates to increasingly easy and well tolerated medications being made available for those starting treatment for the first time and new options for those with highly drug resistant virus. For new treatment it often includes taking between 1 and 4 pills once per day. In those who are more treatment experienced there are new agents recently approved and several available for those in urgent need. This includes drugs in completely new classes, such as entry, integrase and maturation inhibitors. Overall, this has been one of the most exciting times in HIV drug development history.

Many already approved and new drugs in development are available through clinical trials. I would encourage you to talk to your provider about treatment options and facilities in your area performing clinical research related to HIV/AIDS. Through these centers you will be able to find out what studies might be available and appropriate for you.

Best, Eric

Previous
BLIPS OR NOT ?
Next
How long before the meds kill you?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.