Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

any new in medication??

Hi Dr.Daar, My name is Andres and being positive for almost a year. I haven't take medication yet. According to my doctor told me that I don't need medication at this point. My question is there any new advanges in the medication? any medication on trial??

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Andres,

The good news is that there are many new advances being made in the treatment of HIV. This mostly relates to increasingly easy and well tolerated medications being made available for those starting treatment for the first time and new options for those with highly drug resistant virus. For new treatment it often includes taking between 1 and 4 pills once per day. In those who are more treatment experienced there are new agents recently approved and several available for those in urgent need. This includes drugs in completely new classes, such as entry, integrase and maturation inhibitors. Overall, this has been one of the most exciting times in HIV drug development history.

Many already approved and new drugs in development are available through clinical trials. I would encourage you to talk to your provider about treatment options and facilities in your area performing clinical research related to HIV/AIDS. Through these centers you will be able to find out what studies might be available and appropriate for you.

Best, Eric

BLIPS OR NOT ?
How long before the meds kill you?