Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV &healthy
Dec 9, 2006

I have been hiv + for almost 6 years. And have no or little symptoms. I havn't been tested for my T4 and CD4 counts(numbers were good) in 2 years since I lost my insurance when I lost my job, but I do have new insurance but did not inform them that I was hiv + out of fear that co-workers would find out or the insurance I applied for would deny me. When I filled out the information, they did not have it sealed. So should I go to my new Doctor and inform him I might be at risk and need a test. If so can my current insurance company find out about my past. I realize what I did was wrong but I was afraid to devulge this and have the company's insurance premium go sky high and then others knowing my situation.

Please help....... signed Nervous and Scared.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Here's the most important thing to remember about applications for insurance: lying on the application form is grounds for cancellation of coverage. Your situation, which is apparently group coverage, is a little different from individual coverage. I'd say that your plan is the best approach for now. Yes, see the new doctor, ask for the test and ask that the results be treated as confidential. Employers do not have a right to employees' diagnoses.

Your company's insurance rates are determined by usage. Even if they do receive information that an employee is using the insurance to cover the cost of HIV meds, the information should not link the charges to an identified person, even if the company is "self-insured."

I'm not sure what you mean by "they didn't have it sealed," so I can't address that, but your stress level is going to go down and your quality of treatment is going to go up if you see that new doc right away. Stop protecting your employer from premiums. They're big kids; they can make those decisions. Your primary job is taking great care of yourself. Bonus: if you do, you're likely to cost them less!

Previous
Whats next?
Next
CD4 Count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.