Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

CD4 after 4 months on Atripla

Typically, what should one expect to see in the CD4 numbers after beeing on medication for 4 months? I started on Atripla in July when my CD4 dropped to 150 and VL increased to 120,000. This was the first time ever on medicaiton after testing positive 4 years prior...After one month my VL dropped to 300 but my doctor did not test for CD4. I had a 4-month check up and blood work done earlier this week and am waiting for results...should I expect to see any substantial change to my CD4 number? ANY increase in CD4 is good but, what typically happens? Thanks

Response from Dr. Daar

Typically CD4 cells will increase by approximately 100 cells during the first 3-6 months and then gradually increase during the years that follow. This is extremely variable from person to person. Nevertheless, the most important thing when first starting treatment is to make sure your viral load goes to undetectable levels, which it appears your is well on its way to doing.

Best, Eric

CD4 counts and stopping meds
Whats next?