Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

My Medicines

Hi Eric I am from India 40 years old and I tested positive 3 months back and my cd4 was 109. The docs started me with Neverapine 200mg twice a day and Efferven 600mg daily night. After dew weeks I started developing rashes all over the body and face and I had to to change to Stavudine & Lamivudine with Efferven. The rashes waded away and I have to see my doc every month to get my medicine. Now he changed my medicine to Lamostad - 40 twice a day and Efferven as usual in nights. Is my medication okay? previously I use to have fever every alternative days and now it is not like that. Am I in right course of medication ? or Am I missing anything in that ? Pls advice.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

It is not surprising that you developed side effects with nevirapine and efavirenz. In fact, there was a study performed that compared two NRTIs with nevirapine, versus with efavirenz, versus with both NNRTIs together. The outcome of this study was that all regimens worked well but there was more toxicity with the two NNRTIs together. Being on two NRTIs with efavirenz is certainly a good regimen. In the United States we are using less stavudine because of increased toxicity compared to other NRTIs. Nevertheless, the drug certainly works well in combination with lamivudine and efavirenz. My understanding is that Lamostad 40 mg is a combination pill of stavudine 40 mg twice daily, which is standard dose along with lamivudine. Therefore, this should be a good combination as long as you are monitored closely for virologic response and toxicity.

Best, Eric

Cost of standard commercial resistance test
Stoping treatment