Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistance
Nov 18, 2006

Hi Dr. D,

I just came back from getting a vaccination at the dr.'s office and the nurse there told me that since September 2006, they've gotten eight (8) new HIV patients who have been resistant to all available medications. And the kicker is that all these folks are under 26. She said they're on some kind of waiting list for 3 new drugs coming out next year.

Anyway, I just wanted to know is there some type of agent under investigation or in the pipeline to which HIV could not become resistant? Maybe something that attacks it in some novel way against which it would have no defense?

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

You bring up an important issue and ask a great question.

First of all, it is known that some individuals are infected by strains that are already resistant to currently available medications. Less commonly people have acquired virus that is resistant to multiple drugs. It is for this reason that it is generally recommended that people have drug resistance testing performed prior to starting therapy for the first time.

With regards to drugs being developed for which resistance will not develop. I only wish. Thus far resistance has been shown to develop to all drugs that have ever been shown to have activity against HIV. Nevertheless, for those that achieve undetectable levels of virus on combination therapy there does not appear to be any development of resistance. Consequently, this goal of therapy remains now, and likely in the future to be very important for sustained responses to treatment.

Best, Eric

Previous
Your opinion re: Dropping Videx from regimen
Next
Cost of standard commercial resistance test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.