Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Babie and HIV positive mother

My wife and I are planning to adopt a baby. We find out that the baby we want, the mother when she went to give birth came out as HIV positive. The baby is 5 months now. They have done two preliminary tests and so far have come out negative to HIV. The next test is now in October. My question is, what are the chanced for this baby to become HIV positive when two tests so far have been negative?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

In the developed world we have well established tests which can tell if a baby is HIV infected by one month of age in the absence of breast feeding. These tests are extremely sensitive and can detect HIV RNA or DNA, that is they detect the virus directly. HIV antibody tests are not helpful for diagnosis of HIV in infants until the infant reaches 18 months of age because all infants born to HIV infected mothers have HIV antibodies which are passed from the mother to her baby and it takes 18 months for these antibodies to completely disappear. It is highly likely that your baby was tested for HIV RNA[ viral load] or HIV DNA, in which case your baby is not infected with HIV. JLS.

can the hiv survive beyond the body temperature?
My qeustion is about my CD4