Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Babie and HIV positive mother
Nov 12, 2006

My wife and I are planning to adopt a baby. We find out that the baby we want, the mother when she went to give birth came out as HIV positive. The baby is 5 months now. They have done two preliminary tests and so far have come out negative to HIV. The next test is now in October. My question is, what are the chanced for this baby to become HIV positive when two tests so far have been negative?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

In the developed world we have well established tests which can tell if a baby is HIV infected by one month of age in the absence of breast feeding. These tests are extremely sensitive and can detect HIV RNA or DNA, that is they detect the virus directly. HIV antibody tests are not helpful for diagnosis of HIV in infants until the infant reaches 18 months of age because all infants born to HIV infected mothers have HIV antibodies which are passed from the mother to her baby and it takes 18 months for these antibodies to completely disappear. It is highly likely that your baby was tested for HIV RNA[ viral load] or HIV DNA, in which case your baby is not infected with HIV. JLS.

Previous
can the hiv survive beyond the body temperature?
Next
My qeustion is about my CD4

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.