Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

re: "Should i start treament?"

In response to the September 22nd question of "Should i start treament? in which the writer's lab results of September, 2006 included a viral load of 18,000 and a CD4+ cell count of 270, after having seroconverted within the last 6 months. Dr Daar writes, "One question is whether people known to be infected for only several months derive unique benefits from the early initiation of antiretroviral therapy." and goes on to say "The clinical benefits from such a strategy are still being studied." I must concur, and remind everyone that there is a study being conducted jointly by the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) and the Acute Infection and Early Disease Research Program (AIEDRP) that seeks to answer this exact question. P.T. Barnum said. "Without advertising, something terrible happens. Nothing." I say, "Without everyone's participation in HIV clinical trials, something terrible happens. We LEARN nothing." Be a part of the solution. Learn more at www.aactg.org or at www.aiedrp.org

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

I completely agree with your comments. Having been involved in research related to this topic for more than 15 years and being an investigator on studies being performed through the aactg and aiedrp networks I am pleased to share the information you have provided with our readers.

Best, Eric

what does CD4 stand ?
undetectable and resistance