Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

High Viral Load

Dear Dr Daar,

I took part in a drug trial for newly infected People which lasted a year. I did very well on the trial with an undetectable viral load and a CD4 of 1,200. However the trial finished two months ago and my viral load is now 200,000 and my CD4 is 380. I got a terrible shock when I saw these results and am very worried. My Internist wants me to hold out for another couple of months to see if my viral load will come down but I am quite reluctant to do so and want to go back on meds as soon as possible. What would you advise a patient of yours in my situation? Kind Regards Pat

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Pat, In general I would agree with your primary provider that it may be too early to know where your numbers are going to level off. That being said, the decision as to when to start therapy is a very personal thing and if you feel more comfortable on a treatment regimen that is well tolerated and suppresses your viral load to below the limits of detection, restarting now would be a reasonable option. You should do well regardless of which strategy you pursue.

I hope that helps. Best, Eric

Laryngitis
drug reaction?