Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Is this true?

The nurse at the HIV doctor's office told me months ago that she had read that in Europe researchers were working on an intravenous agent that would be injected several times (I think 3 over 6 months) and that would indefinately suppress HIV replication.

Is this true? Is there any research in this area or any advancements.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Daar

There are treatments being developed that might be given intravenously every few weeks or even less frequent, but I am not aware of any that would indefinitely suppress virus. This would suggest a "cure" and I see little evidence for such a treatment being available in the near future. Nevertheless, the next best thing are simple, well tolerated medications that completely control the virus. Such treatments already exist for many.

Best, Eric

An update -- Still Detectable
Work at USA