Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

a quiet virus
Nov 1, 2006

Here is my question been positive over 20 years now I am 35 never taken any meds still play football with the local kids go to the gym and work full time. So why am I not sick or dead from not taken any med at all it is just mind over body. Or do I have a strain that is different my doctor says I have a very weak strian it that true are there ones out there and could I have it Thank you take care Christina

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Christina, Congratulations on doing so well and thank you for this great question. The reality is that everyone is different and HIV disease progresses at very different rates. There are those who become ill within a few years of infection (rare), and others that remain healthy off therapy for decades. Remember, the average time from infection to symptoms of AIDS is approximately 8-10 years without therapy. Obviously, with close follow-up and initiation of therapy when appropriate we believe most people will be able to live long healthy lives.

In your case there may be anyone of a number of explanations for your success. There may well be some differences in your virus that allows you to remain stable off therapy. In addition, there are a variety of genetic factors that have been identified over the last decade that have been shown to be associated with slower disease progression. At this time I would encourage you to take care of yourself and be followed by your provider with the hope that things will continue as is for many more years.

Best, Eric

Previous
Does Suspending Meds Mean A Quick Death?
Next
This Man claims he cures hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.