Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

TMC-114 and Testosterone

I've been positive for about 18 years and have developed pretty extensive resistence patterns. I changed meds about 2 months ago to TMC-114, Truvada and Norvir, and the response has been amazing. Viral Load from 78,000 to 2,000 and t-cells from 224 (13%) to 585 (16%) in just 1 month. The issue is I'm been using testosterone gel to help combat fatigue and have historically run with rather low amounts. Once the med change was initiated, my counts for testosterone went through the roof (2400). Is there any connection with the med change? I've been feeling good but am still plagued by fatigued at times. I eat right, exercise and take care of my mental health daily. Thanks for your time. Dan U. San Diego

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Dan, I am not aware of any drug interaction between testosterone and TMC114 (darunavir). It may be related to how you are applying the gel or the timing of the blood draw relative to the application.

I would encourage you to discuss this with your primary provider and pursue repeat testing at a consistent time after application of the gel to fixed area. If levels remain high you might want to see what they are like off testosterone replacement therapy.

Best, Eric

Quality of Care
contre vir