Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any new developments?
Sep 7, 2006

Hi Ms. Salisbury, Together with 6 other orally taken medications I also inject FUZEON twice a day and this I have done for the last three and a half year faithfully. I notice that the periods, that I can cope reasonably well with this regimen of twice daily injections, are getting shorter and rarer. This always coincides with the fact that somehow the injections hurt more than during the "good" days. I always try to hang on to the belief that something will come onto the market that will replace FUZEON whether it be a once daily injection or even a once a week, or: why not: a pill! My doctor always gives me vague answers when I ask him how long he thinks I will have to continue this boring, painful and restrictive regimen. Of course I am very grateful for the fact that I can take FUZEON, but that does not make it any easier. What I would like to know is the following: Can we expect new meds in the foreseeable future, meds that will make the treatment a bit easier? And if so: how long before they will be available to the regular patient? I do not want to have a vague answer to this question because my doctor is already very good at giving those. I just want to have a clear idea for how long I still have to cope with FUZEON as it is adminitered now. What are my hopes for improvement and when will this improvement take place? If you can answer that I would be extremely grateful, because even if I had to go on for still quite some time with these injections, I think I could do that better if I knew that the end of twice daily injections will come in one year, two years or whatever date that is certain, to make way for an easier regimen and a complete change of my life! Thank you very much for your continued support and hope to hear from you Greetings from Holland

Response from Ms. Salisbury

Hello to Holland, I feel there is a wonderful pipeline of new HIV drugs coming. Today I heard that the new integrase inhibitor will be pushed into early access within the next 5 to 6 months. There is also the new entry inhibitors that look promising for early access within the next year-maybe by Spring. I know it is tough taking all those meds. I also know your practitioners are doing the best they can at this time for you.

Roche is looking at Fuzeon for a once a week injection but a time to the general public is very difficult to predict. They are trying to perfect the delivery system.

New drugs for HIV are usually on a fast track but even then it is hard to predict when they will be completely FDA approved for the general public. Keep the faith. Carol

Previous
Sick of Fuzeon
Next
how coul i start im from where

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.