Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

ELISA testing question

Dr. Daar,

Can the B19 Parvovirus (Fifths Disease) antibodies cause a false positive result on the ELISA or Western Blot test. I read that the IgM antibodies to B19 can persist for around 4 months and I wanted to see if there is potential for cross-reactivity? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Daar

The HIV antibody test is very accurate and there is no reason to believe that parvovirus infection would cause a false positive HIV Western blot. If you have a positive HIV test you should follow-up with an expert HIV provider to be counseled regarding the likelihood that it is a true versus false positive test.

Best, Eric

vaginal sex and hiv testing
Unprotected Sex & Medication Regimen