Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Natural products before chemicals

Dear Sir, I fund out I was HIV positive a year ago and I've been doing blood tests every four months to check my CD3 and CD4 levels and my viral load. My doctor says that considering they do not present a number that should take me to into chemical treatment, I've been taking natural products such as various antioxidants, NAC, alpha lipoic acid, CoeQ10, Moducare, L-Glutathione and Selenium in a regular basis since then. Are these products going to help me, retarding the moment I'll go into chemicals, are they really a natural help or is this all useless. I feel fine, I've even put on some weight although. Would you please let me know as soon as possible.

A.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately most of what you are taking has never been carefully tested to determine the impact they have on HIV disease or how they effect the time until therapy is needed. Consequently, I can not tell you if they are doing you any good or not. The most important thing is that your provider be aware of what you are taking and that you continue to be followed closely so that when the time comes that you do need antiretroviral therapy a discussion can take place as to which regimen you should take.

Best, Eric

every other day HIV meds
vaginal sex and hiv testing