Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Mandatory Fed/CA Registration of HIV infected

Dr. Daar, What are your thoughts about mandatory registration to the CA State Dept of AIDS Service; Riverside County already has a Surveillance Unit in place to inform partners that could be infected. Eric, what are your thoughts?

Sincerely,

JOHN

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi John, Thank you for your posting and I appologize for not addressing your question sooner. Although for many years I have shared the concerns of many about any HIV reporting, I think the time may be right for this to proceed. First of all, the risk of discrimination is not what it was, although every effort still needs to be made in order to assure confidentiality. Moreover, we can no longer track the epidemic with AIDS case reporting only since a growing proportion of infected people are unlikely to progress to AIDS. The idea of reporting without names was appealing but from what I understand is simply not working. There are many compelling reasons to monitor the magnitude of the epidemic across the the country, both from a public health perspective as well as to assure appropriate allocation of funds.

For these reasons I think reporting is the right thing to do. That being said, I continue to worry about people's privacy and hope that the process will go smoothly without any overt abuses or misuses of the information.

Best, Eric

Am I HIV
Testing with Caution