Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

hiv and dmso

im interested in treatment for hiv with dmso. do you have any thoughts. i am not currently on meds. thank you

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting. DMSO is a substance used widely in the laboratory for a variety of purposes. I am aware of very limited data showing what effects it can have on HIV susceptible cells, such as whether it influences these cells ability to be infected by HIV or alter replication in those already infected. Most of the available data is in the test tube, and some of that data suggest that there could be reasons for concern. I am not aware of any well performed clinical studies in HIV-infected individuals to assess the effectiveness or safety of DMSO. Although I can not tell you based upon the available data that it will not help, there is no information to suggest that it will, nor that can completely reassure me of its safety in HIV-infected individuals. Consequently, it is difficult for me to endorse this treatment at this time.

While I do not in general discourage people from considering and pursing alternativel therapies, including those that have not been completely tested, this should not be done in those who are in need of treatment in liu of what we know to be highly effective currently approved antiretroviral options.

I would encourage you to feel free to discuss DMSO and other potential therapeutic options with your provider.

Best, Eric

WHAT ARE BABY /MATURE CD4'S
Question about VL and Drug resistance