Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

WHAT ARE BABY /MATURE CD4'S

My nurse recently said that I needed more "mature" CD4 cells as opposed to "babies". My CD4 had increased from 226 to 330. What did she mean? I just nodded in agreement!

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting. I am not completely sure what the nurse was referring to but I suspect it may have been related to what is known as "nave" versus "memory" CD4 cells. The former are new cells to be programmed to fight various infection. The latter are those cells circulating in the body that have already been programmed to fight a specific infection. There has been a great deal of interest as to which of these types of cells predominantly come back in response to antiretroviral therapy. Many believe that it would be optimal if increasing numbers of "nave" cells predominated. That being said, in general those who do experience an increase in their CD4 cells on therapy rarely develop the infectious complications associated with AIDS. In other words, the cells that do come back seem to work pretty well for most.

I hope this helps and is what the nurse was referring to. If not, let me know. Best, Eric

TB & HIV
hiv and dmso