Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WHAT ARE BABY /MATURE CD4'S
Aug 5, 2006

My nurse recently said that I needed more "mature" CD4 cells as opposed to "babies". My CD4 had increased from 226 to 330. What did she mean? I just nodded in agreement!

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting. I am not completely sure what the nurse was referring to but I suspect it may have been related to what is known as "nave" versus "memory" CD4 cells. The former are new cells to be programmed to fight various infection. The latter are those cells circulating in the body that have already been programmed to fight a specific infection. There has been a great deal of interest as to which of these types of cells predominantly come back in response to antiretroviral therapy. Many believe that it would be optimal if increasing numbers of "nave" cells predominated. That being said, in general those who do experience an increase in their CD4 cells on therapy rarely develop the infectious complications associated with AIDS. In other words, the cells that do come back seem to work pretty well for most.

I hope this helps and is what the nurse was referring to. If not, let me know. Best, Eric

Previous
TB & HIV
Next
hiv and dmso

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.