Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

toxo-or neuro syphilis
Jul 21, 2006

In 1996-I had 20 tcells and I had an mri and they saw several lesions-one left middle cerebral peduncle hyodense lesion-I was put on toxo drugs and the lesions disappeared. I still to this day am neg. for the toxo-anti-body.Is it posibble that I had neuro-syphilis instead and the anti-biotics cause the lesions to shrink. I have still been experiencing cognitive decline-I have been tested for syphilis and was neg-but it is latent-and in my brain maybe it doesn't show on testing?I just don't understand if i had toxo-why I have no-anti-bodies?

Response from Dr. Daar

I am a bit limited as to how I can respond without more detailed information. However, in someone with 20 T cells who presents with a mass lesion in their brain and who responds to toxo therapy it is generally thought that they have toxo. Consequently, based upon what you have written I suspect that this was the correct diagnosis. Anti-toxo therapy is unlikely to have effectively treated many other things, and certainly not syphilis.

You are correct that most people with toxo do have antibodies to this infection. However, there are many reported cases of even biopsy proven toxo where the antibody test sent to a commercial or state laboratory was negative.

There are many potential reasons for cognitive decline and I would suggest you seek out the attention of a neurologist so that you can undergo a more extensive evaluation.

Best, Eric

Previous
changing meds due to VL
Next
Test question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.