Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Karposi Sarcoma

Dear Dr.

My question is tha K.S. seemed to be a visible signature of folks HIV infected in the 80s and 90s; yet now, I seldom see anyone with those horrific lessions.

Can you give any insight?

Thank you,

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Jeff, My colleagues and I frequently ask the same question. Some of this may be related to the fact that more people are taking antiretroviral therapy. Nevertheless, some of the decline seems to have predated the availability of potent antiretroviral therapy. We still have much to learn about Kaposi's Sarcoma Sadly, some of us believe that we are starting to see more of this disease over the last several years. Continued research is underway.

Best, Eric

Valproic acid use in the treatment of HIV
latest information for when to start