Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Dr. Advise...stopping treatment

I am seeing a new Dr. and he is recommending that I go off of my meds. I have been poz for 20 years and never had a cd4 below 700 or replications above 30k, never sick. I have been on AZT/Hivid/Viramune for about 9 years. He seems to think that I am a "non-progressor" and that I will stablize my cd4 and viral load at an acceptable level and live without complication from HIV, I am very sceptical and everything I read and hear says to stay on RX...your thoughts??

Response from Dr. Daar

I would need some more detailed information regarding your current laboratory values in order to fully understand your situation. However, in general terms there is a considerable amount of experience stopping therapy with close observation in those that have never had low CD4 cells. Consequently, stopping and monitoring is a reasonable strategy. If your viral load is completely suppressed and you are tolerating your regimen it may also be reasonable to continue or consider switching to an alternative regimen that may be somewhat simpler to take and associated with less long-term toxicity. This is clearly a discussion you would need to have with your provider.

Best, Eric

New One Pill a Day
Valproic acid use in the treatment of HIV