Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

New Treatment

I am HIV+ since 1993 and have taken most of the meds in the market. I am resistant to most of them. I am actually healthy and energetic, however I have high triglicerides, some facial lipo, my kidney function is about 78, and I had skin squamous cell carcinoma that was removed last year. My CD count is lower than 100. My doctor changed my meds to: Prezista, DDI 250, Truvada and Ritonavir. What do you think about this combination? I appreciate your response.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your posting.

The decision as to what therapy to use in your situation is based upon detailed information regarding your treatment history and results of resistance testing. Individuals who are highly treatment experienced should be hopefully that they may respond to the most recently approved protease inhibitors, such as Prezista (darunavir, formerly known as TMC114) or tipranavir (Aptivus). It is certainly worth trying this as part of a new regimen. The choice of what to use with it is largely based upon drug resistance testing as well as whether you have taken T-20 (fuzeon, enfuvirtide) before.

All the best, Eric

rash
PCR Testing