Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

How to prevent resistance

Hi there Dr. Daar,

I have read a lot of about the dangers of drug resistance. The last time I went to my doctor, she said that there is no way to determine how long a particular medication will work. She said it could work for a month, a year or forever. I am a currently on Sustiva/Truvada. I had a genotype done before I started therapy and the doctor said it showed I had a "very sensitive" virus (just two possible mutations). My questions are the following: What is the best way to prevent drug resistance? Is there anything I can do to prevent resistance? What is the liklihood of resistance if I am very adherent? I haven't been on medication for very long (2 months). I have been very adherent thus far and am trying very hard to make taking the medications as automatic as brushing my teeth. I don't want to develop resistance (for obvious reasons) but particularly, because I don't want to lose the opportunity to take just one pill once a day to manage this virus.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your excellent questions.

I completely agree with your provider that we never know how long therapy will last. However, thus far our experience is that once viral loads go to undetectable on a good regimen it will usually stay that way for many years if the medication is consistently taken on a daily basis.

The short answer to your question is that the best way to prevent resistance is to take your medications consistently and be followed closely by your provider.

It sounds like you should do very well for a long time!! Best, Eric

Discordant couples
Treatment Interruption