Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

il-2 new data is out there??
Jul 9, 2006

Dear Doctor, I know in the past that some doctor's thoughts on IL-2 included the thought that the IL-2 might not increase naive or new cd4 cells but just increase those that are already there.( or something like that).. Now, I've read some items that show IL-2 actually produces new naive cd4's. Do you agree with this statement? And when would you rx IL-2 and when would you say yes or no to someone who might not need it immediatey- like myself with an unded. vl and cd4 of 500's and 37% usually. I've seen people post that they are taking 7.3 ul?? for 3 days which is 1 vial, every other month... and indocin SR if needed,.. The three days supposedly don;t produce tons of side effects like the low dose that was in favor in the 90's .( but perphaps the low-doses were too low to get the correct mechanisms to create new cd4's and the toxicity was too great.. So. what do you think.? I want more cd4's as I lost over 200 in 1 month from radiation and I want them back... But as always, I don;t do things without your thoughts and input.. Many thanks, LUke

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Luke, There remains much to learn about the potential role of IL-2 in the management of HIV infection. We do know that it will increase CD4 cells, with variable data as to the specific type of CD4 cells produced. Most importantly, the treatment does have side effects, no matter how it is given, and is quite expensive. Without additional data showing that it changes clinical outcome I believe its use can not be justified based upon increasing CD4 cells alone. There are two important studies that are attempting to define the clinical benefit of this therapy. Unless they prove otherwise, I do not believe that someone in your situation should experiment with this treatment. In fact, regardless of how many CD4 cells you had before radiation therapy I can not imagine that you will develop complications of HIV infection while having an undetectable viral load and CD4 cells of 500, 37%.

Best, Eric

Previous
Treatment Naive and Viral load roller coaster
Next
Relationship

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.