Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

can herpes cause resistance ?

sir,

i have been on d4t+3tc+efavirenz since 77 days ,never missed a dose but have been late by 30 minutes on 36th day after which i have kept an alarm on my watch. i had started with a high vl of 264000 and cd4 170 . i had a minor herpes infection in the last week of jan after which i have been taking acyclovir 800mg daily to supress herpes. from what i have read, that herpes can lead to a spike in vl. will this cause resistance to the meds which i am currently taking and does acyclovir or paracetamol cause drug level of hiv meds to go down, i am due for vl and cd4 test in two weeks time.facing to much anxiety. thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

You are correct that there is some data suggesting that an outbreak of herpes can cause transient increases in viral load, particularly in those not taking antiretroviral medications. Nevertheless, there is little data suggesting that there are any adverse consequences of such an increase or that it might result in drug resistance. There is also no reason to believe that your drug levels will be influenced by acyclovir or paracetamol.

I anticipate that your numbers will be excellent when you have your blood work performed. As you get more used to taking the medications you will find that your numbers will be excellent and you will become more relaxed around all of these issues.

Take a deep breath and be reassured that you should do very well.

Best, Eric

Combivir and Viramune Combination - Time for a Switch?
Follow up to My latest update