Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Restricted first line options
Jun 21, 2006

Hi, Thanks for all the great work you do. This forum has been of great help since I was diagnosed 5 months ago. My doctor recently told me that she has been observing a declining white blood cell count in my stats since diagnosis. In her words this indicates that HIV has affected my bone marrow. As a result she believes that I will have few options for meds as the more modern treatments cannot penetrate the bone marrow. Please can you give me advice on treament options. Her comments terrified me as up until now the one thing that has kept me going is the thought that there would be meds available to me when my t-cells go below 350.

I appreciate any insight you can give,

Response from Dr. Daar

Without more details regarding the level of your white blood cells and which of these cells are declining I am not completely sure what your provider is referring to. There is no question that some people with HIV will develop declines in a variety of their white blood cells, of which T cells are a subset. Nevertheless, I would be optimistic that when the time comes that you need antiretroviral therapy that you will have an excellent response. In fact, most of the medications do not adversely effect the white blood count and I suspect you will have many highly effective options.

Best, Eric

Previous
Worried that I've messed up.
Next
Resistance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.