Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Worried that I've messed up.

Hi

I'm a little worried (well...a lot worried) that I've messed up my treatment regimen.

I've been on Sustiva, Viread and Epivir for over a year, and most recent results were CD4 501 (28%) and VL u/d. Have been u/d since June last year.

I've never missed a dose of my meds and have always taken within 30 minutes of my selected time.

Last week however, I was away from home and was a little less strict with my med times - normally about an hour late, but actually 4 hours late on one night. The day after I was 4 hours late, I had a raging fever and sore throat (although it must be said that I had been overdoing the cigarettes and alcohol, as well as getting very little sleep for the whole week).

I know that my combo is relatively forgiving about med times, but is it so forgiving that it'll let me be 4 hours late without failing?

I still haven't missed a dose, and went straight back to my strict routine when I came home from holiday. Still feeling knackered, but throat pain and fever cleared completely within 48 hours.

Would appreciate your advice.

Many Thanks.

Response from Dr. Daar

It sounds like your commitment to therapy has paid off with an excellent response. I would encourage you to continue to be diligent about taking your medications. That being said your medications are relatively forgiving with regards to the timing of dosing and being a few hours late now and then probably is not a big concern as long as the majority of the time you remain consistent. I do think you made the right decision in taking your regimen 4 hours late rather than missing it completely. In fact, I recommend that people try to stick to a relatively stable schedule; however, if for some reason they miss a dose they should take it as soon as they realize it was missed.

I doubt that your illness was related to the delays in taking your medications. I am glad you are feeling better and are back on track. Obviously your next laboratory data will be telling but I would be optimistic that all will be well.

Best, Eric

Why aren't I resistant?
Restricted first line options