Jun 21, 2006
Response from Dr. Daar
HIV stands for the human immunodeficiency virus. AIDS stands for the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. HIV is the virus that causes immune deficiency, weakening of the immune system, and when this becomes sufficiently severe people start to develop complications, such as unique infections that meet the criteria to be defined as AIDS. Often when describing issues surrounding this disease people will refer to this as "HIV/AIDS" to be inclusive.
I encourage you to review The Body site where you will find a wealth of information related to all aspects on this topic.
ARS TIME FRAME
Why aren't I resistant?
- Is Muscle Ache An Acute Symptom Of HIV?
- Can AIDS Be Transmitted Through Picking Your Nose?
- Sex With A Prostitute How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
- Chances Of Getting AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Burning Penis After Touching Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Condom Leak Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.