Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

high v.l, fatigue and brain damage

Hi Dr. Daar

I'm 40 years old woman. HIV+ for 20 years. My last cd4 is 500 and most of time it's around this number. V.L=400,000.Last 3 years without the cocktail treatment. The rest of my lab tests r fine. I'm suffering from fatigue lately and I'm scared from brain damage because of the high V.L. Do you think there is a conection between the high V.L and the fatigue? does a high V.L can cause a brain damage (as I herd from aids expert)? Soon,I'll probabley start a new cocktail. I have a resistance to all the family of the "brain breakers" such as sastiva. Do I have to start ASAP the cocktail? Am I in some kind of a dangerouse cause of my treatment long vication?

*sorry for my English:))

thank you v.

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms for people in general, as well as those living with HIV. It is always difficult to know what is the cause of this symptom. Certainly it is possible that this relates to HIV in one way or another. If you and your primary provider can not come up with an alternative explanation for your fatigue, for which there could be many, it might be reasonable to consider a trial of antiretroviral therapy to see if these symptoms resolve. I don't think there is any urgency to act but you certainly should give this issue careful thought.

Best, Eric

Reduced dosages MEDS
CD4 percentage & CD/CD8 ratio