Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

MAC treatment

I have been diagnosed with AIDS and MAC infection. I've been on treatment for both for about a year now. It is suspected that I may also have IRD (Immune Reconsitution Disease). The MAC infection has cleared from my blood, but is still in my lymph system. I still suffer many of the symptoms such as fevers, chills, nightsweats, loss of appetite, etc. I'm wondering if there is any information on other patients who have this combination of diseases, and how long it has taken them to clear their MAC infection, and/or how long it took for their symptoms to go away. I've read extensively about these issues - but nothing I've read shows or tells actual accounts of individual people and especially -- nothing I've read talks about what the average length of improvements should be or has been. Thanks for your help!

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post. The situation you describe is complicated and requires additional information. In general people who start on anti-MAC treatment have a fairly rapid decline in the amount of MAC in blood associated with resolution of fevers and other symptoms. If IRD occurs the symptoms can be more variable and persist potentially longer but should also resolve with time. I am concerned that you suggest that your symptoms, including fever have persisted for a year on HIV and MAC treatment. In this setting I would encourage you to work with your primary provider to make sure that you are having an optimal response to both treatments and that there are no other explanations for your persistent symptoms. I can assure you that there is going to be a great deal of variability in time to response for all of these conditions. Consequently, the main thing is to be diligent to make sure nothing is being missed.

Best, Eric

Response To Another Readers Post
Reduced dosages MEDS