Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

thank you

Dr. Daar, I just want to thank you for answering my post (hepb meds.) I don't drink alcohol at all and I am very careful with what I eat. I donot have HIV, hepA or hepC. How often does one need to test for those? Mine test was done ~5 yrs ago. Also, I am going to see a hepatologist next week. How can one tell if he/she is experience with HBV? I am in the orange county area. Do you know a hepatologist that can help me? Thank You for answering!!Chu'a Chu'c La`nh cho Ba'c Si~ (this means God bless you, Dr. in Vietnamse)sincerely. ieselene s.

Response from Dr. Daar

There is a blood test for hepatitis A that will tell you if you are immune to infection or not. If not, you should be immunized so you don't have to worry about getting it in the future. Similarly there are simple blood tests for hepatitis C infection. If you are repeatedly exposed to blood by needle sharing or other means then testing on a regular basis, such as once per year makes sense. Regular testing may also be appropriate if you have sex with men and/or have a sexual partner who is known to be hepatitis C infected. If you do not have these kinds of risk factors then regular testing may not be as important.

I do encourage you to follow-up with a hepatologist regarding your hepatitis B and to get further input regarding the questions you ask about hepatitis A and C. As far as finding a hepatologist, I would suggest you get a referral from your primary provider or contact any of the local medical centers in Orange County and ask for a referral to a hepatologist. There are many with appropriate expertise in the area you are looking.

Best, Eric

what's up with that?
New CD4 Cells: Same or Different