Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

thank you
Jun 10, 2006

Dr. Daar, I just want to thank you for answering my post (hepb meds.) I don't drink alcohol at all and I am very careful with what I eat. I donot have HIV, hepA or hepC. How often does one need to test for those? Mine test was done ~5 yrs ago. Also, I am going to see a hepatologist next week. How can one tell if he/she is experience with HBV? I am in the orange county area. Do you know a hepatologist that can help me? Thank You for answering!!Chu'a Chu'c La`nh cho Ba'c Si~ (this means God bless you, Dr. in Vietnamse)sincerely. ieselene s.

Response from Dr. Daar

There is a blood test for hepatitis A that will tell you if you are immune to infection or not. If not, you should be immunized so you don't have to worry about getting it in the future. Similarly there are simple blood tests for hepatitis C infection. If you are repeatedly exposed to blood by needle sharing or other means then testing on a regular basis, such as once per year makes sense. Regular testing may also be appropriate if you have sex with men and/or have a sexual partner who is known to be hepatitis C infected. If you do not have these kinds of risk factors then regular testing may not be as important.

I do encourage you to follow-up with a hepatologist regarding your hepatitis B and to get further input regarding the questions you ask about hepatitis A and C. As far as finding a hepatologist, I would suggest you get a referral from your primary provider or contact any of the local medical centers in Orange County and ask for a referral to a hepatologist. There are many with appropriate expertise in the area you are looking.

Best, Eric

Previous
what's up with that?
Next
New CD4 Cells: Same or Different

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.