Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Other effects of HIV

As years pass and hiv pos people continue to have undetectable viral loads and good CD4 levels on HAART do you expect more disease from those cells where the virus continues to hide to become manifest? whereas in years past most patient succumbed to diseases due to low CD4 counts. In other words do you expect to see more neurological problems from virus hiding in nerve cells, more lymphoma with virus hiding in lymph tissue, hematological problems with virus hiding in platelets etc. the longer the patient lives despite being "undetectable"

Response from Dr. Daar

Thank you for your post.

Your questions are all excellent and I wish I had all of the answers for you. Unfortunately only time will tell. However, there is sufficient data showing that antiretroviral medications can in part reverse neurologic complications of HIV infection. Although there is still much to learn in this area there is reason to be optimistic that effective antiretroviral therapy will prevent both immunologic and neurologic disease. The question about the development of malignancies is also complex and needs further exploration. I remain hopeful that people like you will continue to do well without the complications you refer to. Nevertheless, there are no guarantees and we need to continue to do research to answer many questions about this disease, including those you ask.

Best, Eric

Drug Holiday
PBS Frontline Special