Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

lipoatrophy and lipodystrophy

Ok I understand something about lipoatrophy and lipodystrophy. I've lost fat in my Face and legs but my Belly is gaining. It seems that all my Fat has gone to my stomach. What can I do to lose the fat that is going to my gut?

Losing fat from arms/legs and face while gaining fat in the abdominal area is one of a variety of patterns of fat changes seen in the setting of HIV infection with treatment. Your HIV specialist should be able to review whether a switch to an alternative HIV regimen might be of some benefit in stabilizing/reversing the fat problems you have experienced. Diet and exercise may help decrease abdominal fat in some patients to a modest degree. There is no easy answer regarding how to decrease abdominal fat (which can be subcutaneous or more often intra-abdominal). Anti-diabetic drugs have had a mixed impact on fat and a recent study of testosteroine for increase abdominal fat found little/no benefit. Growth hormone or growth hormone releasing factor are being studied (have to be injected and have their own side effects and high cost) for the treatment of increased intra-abdominal fat. KH

what now...
A Thought that can change lives of Many HIV Patients