Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Numbness in hands and legs

A relative in Africa is on HAART for 1 year now. He is complaining of numbness in his hand and leg as well as serious asthma (emphysema?) What is the likely prognosis and do you recommend a particular medication if the lab tests proove he does have emphysema.

Response from Dr. Daar

I am not a specialist in emphysema, but the diagnosis is usually made with pulmonary function tests and I would encourage him, if at all possible, to seek out the attention of a good primary care doctor with expertise in this area or a pulmonologist.

With regards to the numbness in his hand and leg, this may be related to the antiretrovirals or any one of a number of other conditions. These symptoms are often referred to as peripheral neuropathy. Of the antiretrovirals it is most commonly associated with stavudine (D4T, ZeritTM) use, and somewhat less so with didanosine (ddI, VidexTM). Drug-related neuropathy usually presents with symptoms initially in both feet and then both hands. If drug-induced neuropathy is suspected consideration should be given to modifying the regimen if it includes drugs like D4T or ddI. This should be discussed with the primary provider since there are many other potential causes of these kinds of symptoms that must also be considered. In fact, if his symptoms are truly limited to one hand and one leg, as implied in your post, it is unlikely that this is from antiretroviral drugs and other causes should be explored.

Best, Eric

hep b meds
My latest update