The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Increasing my monocytes
May 29, 2006

I am a newer more recent patient, and now more then ever doing the most I can to stay healthy, in only a few months time by taking the truvada/sustiva combination, my cd4 cells have come up from below 20 to 178, my monocytes are low 3 on a scale between 4 and 14 id like to know what purpose they serve and if theres anything addtional I can do, suppliments I can take to help improve this number.

Diet Etc? suggestions?


Response from Dr. Daar

It is great that your CD4 cells have increased so dramatically with your antiretroviral regimen. Assuming your viral load is going down at the same time you should do very well as long as you continue to consistently take your medications. I further support your goal of looking at other means in which to stay healthy. With this goal in mind I would recommend watching your diet, regular exercise, stress management and avoiding drugs and excessive use of alcohol.

With regards to monocytes, these are cells in the body that are part of the immune system and fight off a variety of infections. In someone who is otherwise doing well, such as you, there is little reason to look at the number of monocytes present in the blood, nor is there any specified way or importance to increasing this number. I would encourage you to focus on your viral load and CD4 cells along with the other life style issues discussed above.

Best, Eric

HIV with undetectable platelet count

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint