Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

New Dr.

I am due for a new set of blood work but for the past 5 months my HIV doctor was been "missing in action" He dose not return any of my calls. How do I go about finding a new HIV doctor. Also I am enrolled in the APIC program. Will I needto contact them and my insurance carrier when I find a new doctor?

Thanks Brooklyn NYC

Response from Dr. Daar

I am sorry to hear that you have had so much difficulty with your current provider. There is probably nothing more important than working with someone who is responsive to your calls. It is hard to find a new provider in any area of medicine because so much goes into a functional relationship. Obviously you need someone who is well trained with as much experience as possible, but one who also is kind, supportive and responsive to your needs. I think word of mouth from friends living with HIV is a great way to start. After that, calling local AIDS Services Organizations for referrals is a good way to find the person who has the information as well as the interpersonal skills you need. Finally, you can also identify trained HIV providers through select web sites such as that of the American Academy of HIV Medicine.

Best, Eric

American Academy of HIV Medicine

Hiv/Aids cure
gastritis