Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

itching and wrist rash

I have been HIV+ for about two years ago. I started meds(Truvada & Sustiva) about 1 year ago and have had no real side effects. Just in the past couple of months, both my left and right wrist itch a lot. If I scratch it, it makes it worse and then I develop scabs where I itched. Is this a side effect of my meds? Or could this be a side effect of tendonitis?

Response from Dr. Daar

Based upon the information you have provided me I would be surprised if this is related to any of your antiretroviral medications or to tendonitis. The skin findings or rash associated with TruvadaTM are mostly the rare episodes of dark spots that usually develop on the palms. Furthermore, these lesions are typically not associated with itching. For SustivaTM the common skin findings are generalized red rash over much of the body and it usually develops during the first weeks of therapy.

I would encourage you to seek out the attention of your primary provider and possibly a dermatologist if these symptoms persist.

Best, Eric

Sustiva and Depression
Average effectivness of drug Combination