Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

physical activity

I am a physical education student and i would like to know how important is, to infected people, making regular exercises? Specially talking about CD4 cells.

Response from Dr. Daar

I would love to be able to tell you that we had large randomized controlled trial demonstrating unequivocally that exercise improves CD4 cells in those with HIV. Sadly, I do not think such a study has been done, or ever will be. However, we do know that exercise has many physical and psychological benefits which are likely to enhance the quality and quantity of life in those without HIV. I see no reason to believe that the same would not be true for those living with HIV. I don't think there is any reason to wait for the definitive study when it is reasonable to assume that good diet and regular exercise will enhance everyones life, including those with HIV.

For the record, I respond to these questions early in morning and after this one I was planning to stop writing and head off to the gym myself.

Best, Eric

LIFE WITH HIV
Gene therapy