Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

viral reservoirs
Apr 17, 2006

Can you please explain how HIV exists in reservoirs in the body? My partner has undetectable viral load, yet his doctor, for whom I have great respect, explained to me about viral reservoirs when I asked why he continues to be ill (fungal infections etc.) with an undetectable viral load. Can you please explain more about this? Thanks. Laurie

Response from Dr. Daar

Hi Laurie,

When people discuss HIV reservoirs in the body they are generally speaking of places where virus may persist while having undetectable viral load on antiretroviral therapy. The term viral reservoirs can mean many things to different people. In my mind the most important potential reservoirs for HIV are in resting memory CD4 cells, the central nervous system (brain) and the genital tract. It is believed that it is because of the persistence of virus in these reservoirs that viral rebound almost always occurs upon discontinuation of treatment. The reason virus persists in these compartments may relate to limited drug penetration into the brain and/or the genital tract. It remains controversial as to why virus persists in resting memory CD4 cells and there continues to be research to better address this important question.

I am not quite sure what your partner's provider is referring to when he says that despite undetectable viral load in blood, persistence in reservoirs accounts for continued illness (e.g. fungal infections). While essentially all treated subjects have virus present in "reservoirs," most who have undetectable viral loads do not develope significant infections. I would encourage you and your partner to seek out further clarification on this issue from his provider. Clearly these are complex issues.

Best to you and your partner. Eric

Previous
Combination to use after EFV + Combivir combo
Next
TO CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.