Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

undetectable

i found out i was positive in oct 2005 i went on a medicine regimen of combivir and sustiva when i first found out i was positive my viral load was 39200 it is now undetectable my cb 4 count was 700 it is now 880 will i stay undetectable and how long till i get immune to the meds

Response from Dr. Daar

Everyone is different but I am optimistic that people who start medications and achieve undetectable levels of virus will remain there, possibly indefinitely, as long as they consistently take their medications. Obviously only time will tell since "indefinitely" is a long time. However, even if I am wrong and after many years you do become "immune" or resistant to the meds, there are many currently available options, and there are likely to be more in the coming years.

The most important thing is that you take your mediations consistently and if you have any problems doing so that you discuss this with your providers. I am very optimistic for people in your situation.

I predict that you will have many decades of good health and viral control!! Best, Eric

I did something stupid
Starting theraphy after a 3-year break?