Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Fortovase off the market

Fortovase has been part of my treatment for years. Fortovase 800mg/Viracept 1250mg/Zerit 20 mg BID. Results have been excellent, Viral load = Not detectable and T-cells 700+. Now that fortovase is no longer available, what would be the next regimen to initiate?

Response from Dr. Daar

For many people in your situation therapy can be changed to a ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitor instead of the two full dose non-boosted protease inhibitors currently being taken. However, to definitively be able to address this question I would need to know more about your treatment history, any intolerance to therapy you have taken in the past, and results of previous drug resistance testing, if available. Let me know if more information can be provided.

I do encourage you to talk to your provider regarding whether the removal of FortovaseTM from the market might be a good excuse to discuss other treatment options.

Best, Eric

Running out of options in Hudson County
New NNRTI for patience with previous non-nuke resistance?