Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Fortovase off the market
Apr 9, 2006

Fortovase has been part of my treatment for years. Fortovase 800mg/Viracept 1250mg/Zerit 20 mg BID. Results have been excellent, Viral load = Not detectable and T-cells 700+. Now that fortovase is no longer available, what would be the next regimen to initiate?

Response from Dr. Daar

For many people in your situation therapy can be changed to a ritonavir-boosted protease inhibitor instead of the two full dose non-boosted protease inhibitors currently being taken. However, to definitively be able to address this question I would need to know more about your treatment history, any intolerance to therapy you have taken in the past, and results of previous drug resistance testing, if available. Let me know if more information can be provided.

I do encourage you to talk to your provider regarding whether the removal of FortovaseTM from the market might be a good excuse to discuss other treatment options.

Best, Eric

Previous
Running out of options in Hudson County
Next
New NNRTI for patience with previous non-nuke resistance?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.