Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

TMC 114 Aquisition

I am an overall very healthy 36 yr old male despite having HIV, HCV, and Hemophiliia B. I've been on several drugs for my HIV including AZT, Zerit, Norvir, & currently Epivir. I show resistances to most drugs w/ a genotype test in 2 of the 3 classes of drugs. But I am told by my doctor that resistance in a test tube and in real life are 2 different things, which makes sence since my CD4 count is 350+. My doctor, Dr John Bartlett of Hopkins, is currently trying to locate the new drug TMC 114. He feels this drug is very promising and "right up my alley". Unfortunately, he is having difficulty locating the drug since it is not been given final approval by the FDA (but paperwork has been submitted). My ultimate question here is, can you give me any info on any clinics that might have this drug available via study, etc. so I can help him help me? Thanks in advance, and sorry to be so long winded.

Thanks for posting.

You indeed have a very famous and reputable physician in Dr. Bartlett.

TMC-114 is the second of the ultra-potent non-peptidic PIs-- joining the already FDA-approved tipranavir (Aptivus) and GSK's investigational brecanavir. This class of medications, especially when combined with a new class of medications (like T20) can suppress viral loads in patients with highly drug-resistant virus.

Tibotec, the manufacturer of TMC-114 has begun expanded access in a number of sites in the US. Tibotec's website offers this: http://www.tibotec.com/bgdisplay.jhtml?itemname=EAP2

Good luck, BY

2 med regime
Just started PEP emergency treatment