Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

SIDE EFFECT

DEAR DON, I AM A 4TH YR MEDICAL STUDENT IN INDIA. YESTERDAY I HEARD FROM MY FRIEND THAT FUZEON IS COZING RHEUMATIC HEART DISEASE ON LONG TERM USE AND IS GOING TO BE BANNED DUE TO THIS SIDE EFFECT. IS IT TRUE? ANOTHER QUESTION IS THAT WHAT IS T-1249? IS IT A DRUG FOR FUZEON RESISTANT CASES? I WILL BE GRATEFUL ENOUGH IF WE KEEP IN TOUCH . THANKING U TITAS CHAKRABORTY

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

Titas,

I am not aware of any reports of rheumatic heart disease associated with long term use of Fuzeon. Furthermore, I've not heard of any side effects that would suggest banning the drug.

T-1249 was a second generation fusion inhibitor compound that Trimeris was developing. According to the information on the Trimeris website, further clinical development of T-1249 is on hold "due to challenges in achieving the desired technical profile of the current formulation." I believe they are working on other compounds that hopefully will be active in the presence of enfuvirtide resistance and that will be more patient-friendly for long-term use.

Here's a link to T-1249 info on the Trimeris website: Trimeris

After 4 plus years, time to quit.
cross resistance