Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

t-20/ UK 427857 interaction

I fuzeon is a fusion inhibitor and UK 427857 is an entry inhibitor, wouldn't fuzeon inhibit the uk427857?

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

I recently came across a clinical trial that is recruiting for the UK-427857 study and I asked the same question of the principle investigator. I have several patients on Fuzeon that have asked about entering the 427857 study. The research protocol that I reviewed does not exclude patients already on T20/Fuzeon.

There are different types of entry inhibitors: enfuvirtide (Fuzeon) which is a fusion inhibitor; UK-427857 which is a CCR5 inhibitor; attachment inhibitors, etc. These types of drugs have different mechanisms of action and theoretically it is possible to use them in combination.

I would look at it this way ... We use combinations of NRTIs and with the exception of ZDV and d4T, we can combine most of the agents. We can also combine some PIs together. It's feasible that we can also combine entry inhibitors together. Obviously we don't know much about the potential interaction at this point, but that's one reason that we also do extensive clinical studies before agents are approved by the FDA.

--dk Hopkins HIV Report

Other Needles
Unexplicable weight loss