Strategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVersStrategies for Treatment-Experienced HIVers

Preparing doses

I have just begun taking Fuzeon. Is it acceptable to prepare three doses at once, taking one at time of preperation and the next 2 over the next 24 hours (12 hours apart?

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

After Fuzeon has been mixed with sterile water, it needs to be injected (once completely dissolved) or refrigerated for future use. The manufacturer's official instructions say that the diluted, refrigerated medication must be used within 24 hours.

So, if you mix 3 vials at 8am, you immediately inject vial #1 and place # 2 and #3 in the frig. At 8pm on the same day you use vial #2. You could still use vial #3 at 8a on the next morning.

My concerns: what if you forget about the 8am dose, and now it's 10am? We don't know if the medication is still stable, and there's the potential risk that the fluid is no longer sterile. I don't see a real advantage for doing this. Most folks tend to do best with HIV meds by getting into a standard routine. I would think preparing 2 doses of medication once a day would be the simplest to follow and "memorize."

Once daily?
on the horizon