Replacement for AZT

I am wanting to remove AZT from my cocktail in light of the info coming out about it's possible contribution to lipoatrophy. I haven't failed any meds, I'm undetectable for about six years now since starting therapy. My t-cell count is above 600. I'm currently taking Trizavir. What would be a suggestion for replacing the AZT component with regard to avoiding further lipo contributing drugs?

Response from Dr. Lee

You should discuss this carefully with your doctor. One thing you should be aware of is that all the nucleosides have been associated with lipoatrophy to some extent. In fact on the spectrum of intensity of association, AZT is in the middle or to the lesser side compared to some of the others such as D4T. Sorry to say there is no regimen that is entirely without side effects. You may want to add a protease inhibitor or a non-nucleoside and go with the nucs Ziagen and Epivir which are the other components of the Trizivir. These two nucs are also available in a combo pill called Epzicom and when used with a third med (a PI or non-nuc) can be very effective.

Be well.

Dosing time adjustment?
med vacation supplemental info