For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Rectal Ulcers

I was diagnosed several years ago with rectal ulcers associated with my HIV infection. Sometimes they get better, but have never totally gone away. I am frequently in pain when I have a bowel movement. I have been given Proctofoam as a treatment with little results. Is this something that I will always have? What can I do if anything, to get rid of them? They really affect my quality of life. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Lee

There are several known causes of rectal ulcers, including herpes, cancer,etc. I suggest that first you determine what is causing the ulcers (this may require a biopsy or other tests) and then it will be easier to determine a course of treatment. I am sure they are very uncomfortable and suggest that you talk to your doctor soon about getting to the "bottom" (couldn't resist) of the problem.

Be well.

Switching from Videx-EC to Viread-fat loss