melanoma

Present, stable regimen is Viread, Emtriva, Viramune. VL is undetectable and CD4s stable at 300 (19%). No history of OI's, but long course of HIV infection (>20 years). Now, because of melanoma, I will have to add to my HIV regimen interferon, IL-2, or hyrdroxyurea. What interactions can I expect from each of those drugs?

Response from Dr. Lee

Clearly there are side effects with all of these medications. There are not necessarily any direct drug-to-drug interactions, but the effects of the medicines may be additive. Hydroxyurea may cause bone marrow suppression and thus a decrease in absolute CD4's. If your viral level is not fully suppressed, IL2 and IF may increase viral activity. These two medicines also have several side effects such as nausea, vomiting, etc. which may potentially make it difficult to stick as well to your HIV regimen. My suggestion is to have a full discussion of the potential risks and benefits of these medicines with an oncologist and an HIV treating doctor at the same time if possible. Sometimes one doctor doesn't know much about the medicines used by the other, so having them in the same place is very helpful (although perhaps difficult to pull off). Second choice is for the two of them to have a discussion of the risks and benefits and then share the outcome of the discussion with you.

Be well.

Should I Go Back To My Old Meds?
What might a next combo utilize?