Dapsone

I am on dapsone 50mg/day as a preventative measure, i was on Septra but had bad nausea. i was wondering if dapsone is assocciated with neuropothy ? i switched off zerit to ziagen because of neuropothy symptoms. the feet did appear to get better but lately they appear to be getting pins and needles again. my tcells went from 60 to 148 and vl from 34,800 to undetictable in 6 months. Also how safe is it to remain on an antibiotic for extended periodsof time ?

thanks

Response from Dr. Lee

Dapsone is not really associated with neuropathy. (It is more commonly attributed to the nucleoside analog medicines. Zerit is at one end of the spectrum of medicines that may cause neuropathy and while Ziagen is also in the spectrum, this side effect is not as common with Ziagen.)

The use of Dapsone to prevent PCP in persons with tcells under 200 is quite safe and also very effective. I suggest you continue to stay on the low dose until your tcells move up a bit more. Check with your doc.

Be well.

stopping treatment
Thinking of switching help!