Is SupervisedTreatment Interruption Advisable ?

I have been diagnosed during seroconversion when my antibody test was still negative and my CD4 Count was 320 and Viral Load 750 000.

My doctor advised to treat hard and fast and I immediately started ARV treatment with a combination of Stocrin, 3TC and Zerit.

3 Months down the line my viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is over 1000.

I have adhered to my drug regiment 100% and I am living an absolute positive lifestyle with good exercise and nutrition and no alchol or drugs.

My doctor is thinking of taking me of ARV treatment after 6 months to a year.

My question is:

Seen that I tolerate the ARV drugs well and have managed to keep my CD4 count very high by starting treatment during primary infection is this advisable.

I am concerned about ending treatment and allowing the reservoirs of HIV to build up.

I realise the flip side is long term side effects and resistance to the medication.

If I was your patient what would you advise me?

Thanking you in advance.

Response from Dr. Lee

It seems that you are in a good position to try discontinuing the medicines with close follow-up to watch for significant viral rebound. There are some who would even say that waiting until the CD4 count drops to a certain threshold (300-350)is a better means to monitor than the viral level for determining when to resume therapy. Either way, you probably won't really lose much ground as long as you are following closely the changes that occur off medications.

Be well.

Hiv and cancer
Feet driving me crazy in the evenings