Patients Taking "Orphaned" Treatment Regimens

I am HIV positive, and have been so since March of 1996. My current labs are a viral load <50, and a CD4 of 1108. I am taking Videx 200mg 2x a day, Epivir 150mg 2x day and Fortovase 1600mg 2x day. This is the initial drug regimen I was placed on after testing positive(I had a known occupational exposure, and was treated with ATZ, 3TC, and Crixivan initially but it did not work). My question is, why do my doctors keep trying to switch me off of this drug regimen? I was initially placed on my current regimen as part of a study group. Although teh study failed, the regimen has worked for me with almost no side effects. I am very compliant with my medication schedule, and do not find the dosing to be difficult. It seems as though every doctor I have been to since the study has ended has wanted to change my meds, because it is not a "standard" regimen. What ever happened to if it is not broken, don't fix it?

Your insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. Lee

I agree with you. There are a lot of folks who have trouble adhering to a regimen such as you are on (number of pills, dosing frequency and dietary restrictions). That is why the doctors have wanted to switch your regimen. There probably are simpler regimens and if you are having any side-effects there may be other options for you. But, if you are able to maintain the every twelve hour dosing and the number of pills, etc. without significant side effects, stick with it!

Be well.

REmoving one drug?
Neuropathy